Wednesday, March 12, 2008

THIS IS MY NOW...

Tonight we finished up the Book of II Thessalonians and I heard one of the most encouraging verses, which could not have come at a better time. “And I say to the rest of you, dear brothers and sisters, never get tired of doing good.” – II Thessalonians 3:14

In Paul’s second letter to the Church of Thessalonica, his final chapter encourages and instructs Christians of proper living. I felt that this verse struck my heart the most because of some of the things that I’ve been going through lately. So many times I know I’ve been doing the right thing without taking shortcuts and trying to be accountable, while seeing other people around me seeming not to take their faith seriously and in doing so, it seems like they’ve been getting ahead while I seem to be standing still, again, waiting on God. So many times I’ve felt like giving up and compromising myself and my faith just to get to where I want to be, then asking God for forgiveness; but I know that our true faith doesn’t work like that.

It’s been hard for me lately not giving in to the world, but at times wanting to so much just to feel accepted and appreciated. Although my heart feels overwhelmed with joy and the peace that only God can anoint, at the same time my personal life feels alone and abandoned. I’m not depressed by any means, but sometimes I continue to doubt myself wondering if the desires of my heart will work out, and if so, when.

My life has had its’ fair share of loneliness, pain, frustration, confusion, and disappointments. Nevertheless, in all that I’ve gone through and continue to struggle with (my confidence, or lack there of and me having to be a perfectionist), God’s peace has been overwhelming during these past couple of months as I’ve turned my focus off of me and onto Him.

The two most important lesions that I’ve faced head on in the last couple of months have been humility and perseverance. Humility, being dependant on God and giving up my control; and perseverance to learning from the disappointments, failures, and rejections, and continuing to move forward, even when it feels uncomfortable and hurts at times.

I continue to learn new things and see how God works in my life on a regular basis as I walk through life. In the words of Paul, “May the Lord bring you into an ever deeper understanding of the love of God and the endurance that comes from Christ.” (II Thessalonians 3:5), I’m reminded that as I walk through life, everyday is an opportunity for my relationship to grow closer to Christ. Is it easy all the time? Certainly not. Just like any relationship, you grow by walking together and getting to know one another.

There will be obstacles in the way that will challenge my faith. In regards to my relationship with Christ, the biggest obstacle is Satan. Satan loves nothing more than to remind me of my past, in turn stirring up mixed emotions and thoughts questioning if I’m really good enough for God. Fortunately, Christ sacrificed Himself on the cross and I am accepted into His presence through the grace of God.

So, as I continue to journey through life, I need to be constantly reminded to keep my relationship with Christ sacred, holding it close and dear to my heart. Although I may have had a weak start, I need to continue to persevere through the tests and trials and enduring the obstacles while keeping my focus on Christ so that I can have a strong finish to my life.

0 comments: